Clicky

How To Mass Import Knowledge-base Articles To Zoho Desk

One of my first projects I have on the board is how to copy over a few hundred KB articles from the old system and get them into the KB inside of Desk. If you have any great suggestions of how to do a mass import

Here’s some info Doug.

Importing KBase Articles

You can quickly import your existing list of KBase articles into Zoho Desk. Rather than type or copy-paste articles into the editor, import them from your desktop or a cloud storage service one at a time. When you import a file, the file name and its contents are copied into the article’s title and answer respectively.

You can import articles from the following file formats:

File Format Extensions Description
Microsoft doc, docx, docm, dot, dotx, dotm, rtf Microsoft Word 97-2003, Word document, Word macro-enabled document, Word 97 - 2003 Template, Word template, Word macro-enabled template, and rich text format
OpenOffice odt OpenDocument Text document
Text Files txt, tex Tab delimited text files and LaTex source document
HTML Files htm, html Hypertext Markup Language files

To import an article from the desktop:

1. Click the Knowledge Base (KB) module.

2. Click the Add icon ( ) from the top bar.

3. On the Add Article page, click the Desktop icon ( ) next to Import Article option.

4. Select the file to upload from your desktop.

5. You’re done! You can see the file contents pasted into the article editor.

To import an article from cloud storage:

1. Click the Knowledge Base (KB) module.

2. Click the Add icon ( ) from the top bar.

3. On the Add Article page, click the Cloud icon ( ) next to Import Article option.

4. Now select the cloud service which contains your files, from the left pane.
    You will have to authenticate yourself, for the cloud storage service provider, to access your files.

5. Once authenticated, select your file that needs to be imported and click Attach .

6. You’re done! You can see the file contents pasted into the article editor.

Note:

• You must click Publish to apply changes made to the article.

• Before you try to re-import a file, click the Clear button in the upper-right corner to remove the existing content.

1 Like

That’s awesome! This is gonna save me so much time.

1 Like

Just found out there is one little tweak to this. All of my articles I need to upload on a shared Google Drive. Apparently, Zoho won’t let you upload from a shared drive. All of the material you want to upload will need to be in your personal drive. I plan on just making copies of the original to my drive and then upload from there, seems to work just fine that way.

Ah nice one great to know. Thanks for updating us @doug.montrose

Ran into another small problem that I just realized. When I am importing these articles it is marking myself as the “author” of the article. In truth, all of these articles that I am uploading from the old system are written by financial experts much smarter than myself and some of our clients are keen on some of the specific author’s articles. They will not be able to search for their favorite author any more if I become the author. Any thoughts on how I might get around this?

You are the article owner not author.
Don’t think people will think it’s done by you.
Create a user for the business and import the the items as the business name maybe.

You can tag the author.
Or have a category in your kb with that Author as the Category Name

Not a great answer but this is what I mean :point_down:

1 Like